Criminal Law Fundamentals – Webinar
December 8 | 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm$195
Date: December 8, 2020
Time: 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Price: $195 + GST
Understanding the practical side of criminal matters is essential for lawyers who practice criminal law. Join with members of the judiciary and senior counsel to consider practical approaches to:
- Effective pre-trial conferences – setting realistic timelines for filing Charter motions, etc.
- Effective use of criminal case management
- Timely identification of trial issues
- Realistic estimates of pre-trial motions, voir dires, and trials
- Agreements on non-contentious issues, including Agreed Statements of Facts, eliminating non-essential witnesses, etc.
- Using Court resources effectively
- Witness accommodations
- Ethics – what you must never do
Please note that the Criminal Law Fundamentals program has a different format than other LESA programs. This program comprises a discussion among members of the judiciary and a senior member of the criminal defence bar and focuses on practical approaches to a number of criminal law topics. Presenters will not be providing written materials that go along with their presentations. Instead, program materials will consist of excerpts from LESA’s publication, Criminal Law Fundamentals.
Justice R. Paul Belzil, Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta
Justice Susan E. Richardson, Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta
Judge A.J. Brown, Provincial Court of Alberta
Edmond J. O’Neill, Aloneissi O’Neill Hurley O’Keeffe Millsap