With a busy practice, it can be a challenge to keep up with continuing professional development requirements. Now, we offer a variety of options to help keep you up-to-speed from your home, office, or on-the-go.
Audio Programs. Take advantage of your travel time, or your time on the treadmill, by listening to audio recordings of select seminars. Just download the MP3 files and listen from your computer or, for added convenience, transfer the MP3s to a portable music device.
Drafting Wills 2013: If you missed the sold-out “Drafting Wills” seminar, you are in luck! This package includes an audio recording of the full day session, as well as the accompanying course materials in electronic format. This audio recording includes seminar sessions on the following topics:
- Drafting with Intention – Learn about drafting wills to deal with ‘intention’ and what practices you should consider changing including using detailed memos to file, letters of intent, or video-recording of the testator.
- Estate Planning Agreements – Learn how and when to bind spouses contractually to their wills and go beyond the mutual will contract.
- Drafting for Unknown Matrimonial Property Provisions – With the uncertainty of the matrimonial property provisions under the Wills and Succession Act, learn the appropriate procedures with respect to matrimonial property.
- Will Substitutes – Learn how to draft to keep property out of the estate, and draft inter vivos and testamentary trusts for the next generation.
- Drafting Considerations – Learn about common drafting considerations including survivorship, divorce, inheritance advances, gifts, and executor fees.
Please note that while these materials are current as of the date of the original seminar, they relate to legislation not yet proclaimed and, as such, they are subject to change prior to the anticipated in force date.
Note: As it is discussed and recommended by the panel, we have included the paper Can You Do a Binding Covenant Not to Amend Your Will? by Patricia L. Daunais QC from May 2006 as bonus materials.
Drafting and Practice Considerations Under the Wills & Succession Act: If you missed “Drafting and Practice Considerations Under the Wills & Succession Act” you can now download audio recordings from this sold-out seminar. Chaired by Audrey A. Wakeling from Witten LLP (Edmonton), “Drafting and Practice Considerations Under the Wills & Succession Act” helps you deal with the practical impact of this new legislation on matrimonial property agreements, implications of the in terrorem rule, and tips for controlling the matrimonial property claim on death. The audio recordings come with associated digital papers, available for download in Adobe PDF with audio files available in an MP3 format. [Original Seminar Date: November 3, 2011]
Please note, while these materials are current as of the date of the original seminar they relate to legislation not yet proclaimed and, as such, subject to change prior to the anticipated in force date. Other materials are in draft form and also subject to change prior to coming into force. Users are urged to watch for notice of any changes.
For an important update in the area of Wills & Estates, please visit our blog to view information regarding the Wills & Succession Act and Surrogate Rules Amendment Regulation.
Real Estate in Distress – 4-part series: If you missed “Real Estate in Distress”, you can now download audio recordings from this sold-out seminar. Chaired by L. Diane Young from Ackroyd LLP (Edmonton), “Real Estate in Distress” helps you deal with Collections,Foreclosures, Builders’ Liens, and Insolvency–critical issues in a challenging economy. The audio recordings come with associated digital papers, available for download in Adobe PDF format. Purchase content by individual topic, or buy the entire 4-part series for a reduced price. [Original Seminar Date: April 8, 2009]
Video Programs. You can also access our on-demand webcasts, and learn from the comfort of your home or office.
- Gain the Edge!® is a professionally produced, digitally recorded session led by Marty Latz, an acclaimed expert on negotiation strategy and tactics. This 3-hour webcast covers practical strategies to get the information you need before sitting down at the table, tactics to maximize your leverage when seemingly powerless, secrets to success in emotionally charged negotiations, and a step-by-step system to design the most effective offer-concession strategy. Learn Latz’s Five Golden Rules of Negotiation, ways to deal with different personality types, ethics, and much more.
- Winning Without Selling Your Soul is a professionally produced, digitally recorded panel discussion in which experts from the legal, business and political arenas address a variety of ethical issues that arise in negotiation settings. Led by Marty Latz, an acclaimed expert on negotiation strategy and tactics, this 3-hour session covers a wide-ranging discussion on some of the most difficult and challenging negotiation ethics issues.
- The New Rules of Court: A Seamless Transition is a half-day session providing background on how and why the Rules of Court are changing, and how they will affect your practice. Hear from renowned representatives of the Courts, the Alberta Law Reform Institute, the Rules of Court Committee, and the practising bar.
[Original Seminar Date: April 12, 2010] Contact Us to order the Rules of Court video program.