September has arrived and we’re starting the educational year off with some exciting events. Kick start your CPD plan!
Find out what’s happening at LESA and in the legal community this month!
As a token of appreciation, we’re offering all who complete the short 3-question survey a $50 discount to apply to any LESA product or program you’d like.
To complete the survey, click here.
NOTE: Survey closes August 23, 2019. Discount code expires December 31, 2019 and cannot be combined with any other offer.
Find out what’s happening this month!
Our Fall 2019 Program Calendar is now available! Kickstart your CPD planning.
Discover the professional development opportunities available to you this fall!
FALL PROGRAMMING | AT-A-GLANCE
Indigenous Law Conference
September 19 (Edmonton)
Interest Based Negotiations
October 3–6 (Edmonton)
Delivering Effective Feedback
October 23 (Edmonton)
Mediation of Family & Divorce Conflicts (Fall)
November 4–8 (Calgary)
Click here to view our full list of programming for the 2019/2020 educational year, or view at-a-glance below.
and keep an eye out for our Winter 2020 Program Calendar, coming this fall!
Winter 2020 Programs At-A-Glance
Spring 2020 Programs At-A-Glance
Basic Collaborative Law
April 23–25 (Edmonton)
Mediation of Family & Divorce Conflicts
May 11–15 (Calgary)
Rural Property Issues
May 29 (Red Deer)
38th Annual Intensive Advocacy
June 8–13 (Calgary)
Are you interested in gaining valuable trial experience as a witness? We are looking for volunteers to act as witnesses in our upcoming 37th Annual Intensive Advocacy program in Calgary, Alberta on Saturday, June 15, 2019.
About the Program
LESA designed the Intensive Advocacy program to hone critical advocacy skills. This week-long interactive program culminates in a moot criminal trial, civil trial, or administrative hearing on Saturday, June 15 from 8:30 AM to 2:00 PM at the Calgary Courts Centre.
Program participants will conduct moot trials or hearings before Alberta justices, judges, and administrative tribunal members, who will then provide participants with feedback.
Volunteer witnesses play the role of a character in one of the criminal, civil, or administrative fact patterns. Witnesses also give evidence on the witness stand under direct examination and cross-examination. Participant lawyers will brief all volunteers on their role prior to Saturday, June 15, then act as a witness during the actual moot trials and hearings. This program offers an excellent opportunity for law students, articling students, and lawyers to observe the trial or hearing process and gain valuable insight into the experience and perspective of a witness.
If you are interested in volunteering as a witness for the Intensive Advocacy moot trials and hearings, or for more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTICE OF MEETING: SURROGATE PRACTICE & PROCEDURE
Meet with Chief Justice Mary Moreau and Justice John Little (Edmonton) and Chief Justice Mary Moreau and Justice Craig M. Jones (Calgary), to have an open discussion regarding practices and procedures in Surrogate matters.
Members of the Bar are invited to submit questions and comments relating to Surrogate practice matters, including the process of applying for grants, to Calgary Co-Chairs (Justice John Little in Edmonton, Justice Craig M. Jones in Calgary) and Edmonton Co-Chairs (Justice Craig M. Jones in Calgary, Justice John Little in Edmonton) at SRAC@albertacourts.ca.
Join us on May 23 & 24 for the Alberta Legal Technology Conference, and discover 6 ways you can use technology to simplify and streamline your practice.
- Spouses are saying a lot of things to one another through their smartphones. Discover how to efficiently and authoritatively retrieve, organize, and reproduce the data from smartphones including text messages, pictures, location data, and more!
- As you know, there are many files with a large volume of documents. Learn about the newest technologies combining traditional document management with AI (artificial intelligence) to make preparation for Questioning and Trial more effective and efficient.
- Learn about the latest in law office software and apps so you can maximize your billable hours and reduce the stress of daily practice.
- Reduce costs and increase your profits! Explore outsourcing opportunities for routine law firm functions or tasks.
- Hear from real practicing lawyers who are early adopters of technology on current trends and discover what’s coming next.
- Get a concentrated briefing on the current state of legal research tools to make your work on divorce, custody, and property distribution more efficient.
Durvile Publications will be releasing the fifth book in their True Case Series.
Florence Kinrade: Lizzie Borden of the North is scheduled for release May 31, 2019!
Discover what’s happening in the legal community this month.