Navigate to ...
Subscription and Payment Terms
For annual payment, the full amount is due at initial purchase. Compliance with LESA’s payment policies is required
For monthly payments, subscribers commit to a 12-month subscription and must pay by credit card. Subscribers agree to provide LESA with credit card information and to promptly notify LESA of any changes to their credit card. Missed payments may result in your access to the LESA Library being suspended, pursuant to the breach provisions below. Monthly payments will be processed on the same date each month, starting on the day the subscription is purchased. If there is no corresponding date in a later month (for example, if a subscription is purchased January 31), the payment will be processed on the last day of each month.
Subscribers must commit to subscribing for the full 12-month term. Refunds, partial or full, will not be permitted without approval of LESA’s Executive Director. Subscribers who are not satisfied with their LESA Library subscription should contact us at 780.420.1987 or [email protected].
Subscribers will receive a renewal notice to the email associated to their account 3 weeks prior to their subscription expiring. Subscriptions will automatically renew for another 12-month term unless cancelled prior to the renewal date. Subscribers can cancel their subscription within the last three weeks of their 12-month term by logging in to their lesa.org account and clicking on “My Account”.
A firm subscription is based on the total number of lawyers called to the Alberta bar and students-at law in the subscribed firm or organization. The benefits of the LESA Library extend to your entire firm. Firm subscriptions can be purchased for one or more office locations. All lawyers called to the Alberta bar and students-at-law in the office location must be included as subscribers.
In cases where the addition of students-at-law would elevate the firm or organization to a different subscription level, the firm or organization has the option to purchase individual student-at-law subscriptions at the discounted student pricing available at the time. Legal support staff are permitted to use the account of a lawyer they directly report to.
By accessing the LESA Library and agreeing to its terms, subscribed firms or organizations must confirm that the number of lawyers and students-at-law in the firm or organization is accurate both at initial purchase and at each renewal period.
Educational Institution Subscriptions
Students-at-law may be granted special pricing from time to time. An individual student-at-law subscriber is entitled to the student pricing available at the time of initial purchase and is granted access for personal use only. For students-at-law to be included in a firm subscription they must be included in the lawyer headcount in a firm or organization. In cases where the addition of students-at-law would elevate the firm or organization to a different subscription level, the firm or organization has the option to purchase individual student-at-law subscriptions at the student pricing available at the time. Student-at-law subscriptions renew according to the renewal policy above, at the regular subscription rate.
Subscribers to the LESA Library may purchase a hardcopy of the Practice Manuals available on their LESA Library subscription at an initial discounted cost. Discount is applicable for new Practice Manual purchases only. Once purchased at the initial discounted cost, the subscriber will be added to the subscription lists for the Practice Manuals purchased and will be shipped subsequent updates that will be separately invoiced. To purchase a hardcopy, please email [email protected] or call 780.420.1987.
You may use the LESA Library for the following purposes in your legal research or law practice:
- Access, search, retrieve, and view the LESA Library in the normal course of law practice or legal research
- Quote and excerpt from the LESA Library (with appropriate credit) by electronic or other means;
- Print out reasonable portions* for personal use;
- Download and adapt selected forms, checklists, and precedents; and
- Access and view any provided materials from selected programs.
- Download, copy, print, or electronically transmit significant portions* of the LESA Library;
- Download significant portions* to use after your subscription expires;
- Obtain or distribute materials for others who are not subscribers (except for legal support staff under your direct supervision, but not including students-at-law);
- Reproduce, publish, sell, rent, loan, or lease the LESA Library or any portions of it in electronic or print form;
- Download or save copies of audio or video files;
- Share usernames and passwords to access the LESA Library (except for legal support staff under your direct supervision, but not including students-at-law);
- Create hyperlinks to materials or resources available on the LESA Library without LESA’s prior written consent; or
- Decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or destroy the LESA Library or any portion of it.
*LESA, in its sole discretion, determines what constitutes “reasonable” and “significant” portions of the LESA Library.
Breach of These Terms
These policies and terms are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Alberta and the laws of Canada, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, and you submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of Alberta. If any provision of this agreement is unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision is severable from this agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.