- This event has passed.
FMS Claims: A Primer – Webinar
December 9, 2021 | 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm$168.75 – $225.00
Date: December 9, 2021
Time: 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Price: $225 + GST
The concept of family relief (as it was once called) has evolved into our current Family Maintenance and Support (FMS) provisions. This program will review the fundamental concepts on which FMS is based, and how the courts consider claims. We will review the drafting of wills where there are potential FMS claims, and the obligations of executors to FMS claimants and other beneficiaries.
Topics will include:
– Overview of procedural issues, notice to potential claimants, time limits when making a claim, and factors which the courts have identified for use in assessing claims
– Drafting of wills where there are potential FMS claims
– Obligations of executors to FMS claimants and other beneficiaries
– Strategies for how to challenge a will or defend a will against an FMS claim
– Co-habitation and pre-nuptial agreements
– ALRI proposal to include step-children
Note: This program is designed for wills and estates practitioners who are in their early years of practice, or for those who wish to revisit the basics. We are offering a more in-depth exploration of FMS Claims at LESA’s Refresher 2022: Wills and Estates.
This event occurred in the past. Click here for the on-demand version.