We are seeking to fill the role of Staff Lawyer, based in Edmonton. Become part of an innovative and dynamic organization and help us make a meaningful contribution to the legal profession.
The Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA) was founded in 1975 to serve the Alberta legal community. As the primary provider of continuing legal education in the province, we serve the spectrum of educational and professional development needs by delivering high-quality educational programs and resources. We strive to lead the way in corporate culture by valuing our greatest asset—our employees.
The Staff Lawyer is expected to:
- Work with the Programs Team to plan and develop content for assigned webinars and programs, including identifying topics, target audience, learning outcomes, resource needs, and subject matter expertise requirements
- Recruit subject matter experts (e.g. chair, faculty, author, or developer) for the development of assigned programs, webinars, and resources
- Work with subject matter experts and support them through the program, webinar, or resource process, including providing technical support on webinar presentations
- Review and edit legal content for assigned resources and publications
- Coordinate with the Brand & Communications Coordinator to develop marketing materials and target communications for assigned programs, webinars, and resources
- Review program materials for assigned webinars and programs
- Host assigned webinars and programs, including livestreamed in-person programs
- Ensure webinars, programs, and program materials are prepared for post-webinar and post-program sale, including writing descriptions and confirming videos are properly edited
- Build effective, collaborative relationships with subject matter experts
- Support the Executive Director and Director of Programs in fulfilling additional organizational requests related to the effective development and delivery of LESA’s programs and resources
The Staff Lawyer must perform their duties in a manner consistent with (a) LESA’s mission, vision, and values, (b) the organizational goals set by LESA, (c) the goals set by the related team, and (d) the regular direction provided by their immediate supervisor. They are expected to bring to the attention of the Executive Director any issue that could pose a risk to the organization (including financial, reputational, political, or legal). When exercising decision-making authority, they are expected to use a knowledge-based approach.
Experience and Education
- Law degree (such as Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Juris Doctor (JD) degree, or a qualifying law degree under the NCA process)
- 1 to 5 years of related legal experience
- Post-secondary education in business, education, communications, or other related discipline is an asset
- Strong project management and organizational skills (including organizing competing priorities)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Team-oriented and self-motivated
- High level of integrity and accountability
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Commitment to lifelong learning, development, and self-improvement; willingness to develop technical knowledge and skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proficiency in online meeting platforms, learning management systems, and/or video editing applications is an asset (training will be provided)
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Staff Lawyer” in the subject line. We will contact only those candidates selected for an interview.
This posting will remain open until filled.