Running an Effective Family Law Practice (Edmonton)
March 7 | 9:00 am – 4:30 pm$393.75 – $525.00
This is the registration page for Running an Effective Family Law Practice (Edmonton). This program is also being offered online via livestream.
Family law lawyers face unique challenges helping clients navigate stressful and emotional life events. Learn the processes, forms, and techniques used by seasoned family law practitioners in this engaging full-day training.
Throughout the day, faculty will facilitate a combination of lecture, small group exercises, and Q&A sessions to address issues key to family law practice, including:
- How do you navigate clients who are uncooperative or disagreeable during the initial consultation?
- How do you establish trust and build relationships with clients, other lawyers, and stakeholders once you are retained?
- How do you work with other professionals, such as mediators or therapists, to provide comprehensive legal services to clients?
- How do you balance the emotional, financial, and legal aspects of a family law file to ensure the best outcome for your client?
- What are some best practices for preparing for and participating in a dispute resolution process, regardless of the chosen process?
- How do you educate clients about the spectrum of dispute resolution processes and help them make informed decisions regarding their process choice?
- How do you assess the success of a dispute resolution process and what steps can be taken to address any challenges that arise?
This program also includes a comprehensive review of case law on the criteria for a legally enforceable separation agreement, including a discussion of the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in Anderson v Anderson, 2023 SCC 13, along with a discussion on best practices for drafting separation agreements and streamlining litigation options if no agreement is reached.
This program is intended for family law lawyers in their first 5 years of practice or those looking to revisit family law practice fundamentals.
*Please Note: Program formats and dates are subject to change. Prices are subject to GST. Early bird pricing expires on February 7, 2024.
If multiple lawyers or staff members from your firm would like to attend this program, please contact [email protected] for pricing. To receive discounted group pricing, you must contact us prior to the first registration from your firm.
Registration is open until 4pm one business day prior to the date of the program. LESA typically sends e-materials three business days in advance of the program date (where applicable). Registrations received within three business days of the date of the program may result in us not sending e-materials access credentials until the program date.
For payment, cancellation, and transfer policies, please click here.
Beryl McNeill, McNeill Family Law
Gordon Andreiuk, McGee Richard Law Group
Stephanie L. Dobson, Henka Divorce Law & Mediation
Paul Govenlock, Long Family Law Group LLP
Part 1 – Intake & Initial Consultation Process
Part 2 – Steps to Take After Being Retained
Part 3 – Assessing Your Case Including Appropriate Dispute Resolution Processes
Part 4 – If Resolution: Agreement Drafting and Updated Case Law on Enforceability of Agreements
Part 5 – If No Resolution: Court and Out of Court Process Options
- March 7
9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- $393.75 – $525.00
- Program Category:
- Family Law
- Program Format
- Additional Filters
- Practice Foundations