LESA has a full slate of programs ready to run this New Year. Don’t let these dates and deadlines slip away from you. Today’s blog gives a look at the legal events happening this month.
Read more about our programs and upcoming events on our blog. Stay up-to-date!
- Discuss current issues relating to family trusts, farming and ranching property, ex juris assets, and domestic agreements.
- Read the blog with seminar chair Krista L. Frohlich to discover the top 5 reasons why you won’t want to miss this program.
Register online to attend in Calgary (January 7).
- Understand securities law concepts, standard transactions, common types of securities, applicable laws, prospectus requirements, procedures, common documents, disclosure, and more.
- Read the blog about this seminar with Chris Peng and his overarching message providing both background information and practical examples.
- Explore strategies to stay organized from start to finish while gaining tips, procedures, and best practices relevant to a range of practice areas.
- Read the blog regarding this seminar with Susan Willgren about organization best practices and tips.
Register now to take advantage of special early bird pricing for the February programs.
ENDING January 5
- Gain insight into a range of specific and complicated child support issues.
- Read the blog with seminar chair Pam Bell to learn more about diverse topics covered by experienced practitioners (including one accountant!).
- Review the dos and don’ts, best practices, current case law, and the role that pleadings play in framing your case.
- Read the blog with seminar chair James Kindrake to discover best practices, review current case law, and explore the role that pleadings play in framing your case.
ENDING January 19
- Recognize the types of warrants and how to look behind them. Discuss Garofoli applications and constitutional challenges.
Oral Advocacy – Edmonton (January 4–8) and Calgary (January 11–15).
- This face-to-face session is a mandatory part of the CPLED Program. It includes instruction in testing competence of oral advocacy skills and instruction in professional responsibility.
- If you are a current CPLED student and have any questions about this module, please contact the LESA Student Coordinator Ashley Iachetta at [email protected] or 780.969.3557.
Events in the Legal Community
Alberta Law Conference (ALC) – Calgary (January 28 – 29).
The Canadian Bar Association Alberta Branch hosts the Alberta Law Conference each year at the end of January. This conference provides two days of impressive sessions that lay out “need to know” fundamentals on a variety of areas of law and some practical advice.We look forward to meeting you at Alberta Law Conference!
For 2016, the CPD declaration period is from January 1 – March 15. As you make your plan, don’t forget to check LESA’s live events website to see what seminars we are offering in this educational year (ending in June 2015).
In 2016, all lawyers are required to complete their CPD plan through the Law Society of Alberta’s lawyer portal. You can access your CPD profile to view, update, and monitor your annual CPD Plan activities. For further information, please contact the Law Society’s CPD Department at 403.229.4766 or toll free at 1.800.661.9003 or via email.
If you want LESA’s help to raise awareness about an upcoming event relevant to the Alberta legal community, contact Renee Vander Meulen, Communications Coordinator.
780.969.0553 or [email protected]