This year’s calendar is full of programs and resources to meet all of your professional development needs!
Our mission at LESA is to serve the spectrum of educational and professional development needs of Alberta’s lawyers, articling students, and their staff, and each year, we develop a calendar of resources to do just that.
With over 40 titles across multiple practice areas, our calendar of live programs is sure to have something for everyone. From junior lawyers to advanced practitioners, sole practitioners to those in large firms, and substantive legal knowledge to practice management, there are plenty of opportunities to meet your 2018/2019 continuing professional development (CPD) needs.
Take note of some of our most anticipated programs, including:
- 52nd Annual Refresher: Family and Pre-Refresher add-on program, How to practice Family Law and Not Go Crazy: Deepen your substantive legal knowledge across a spectrum of family law topics. Leverage powerful tools and resources to strengthen your practice, connect with some of Alberta’s top family law practitioners, and enjoy peace and serenity in a breathtaking setting. Save when you sign up for the Refresher and Pre-Refresher add-on program, How to Practice Family Law and Not Go Crazy!
- Alberta Land Titles Online (ALTO): ALTO will affect the way legal practitioners conduct their real estate /conveyancing practice. To serve you better, we’re taking this program on the road! Join us for one of 11 interactive, half-day sessions in one of 7 locations across the province to learn about the shift to ALTO.
- Junior Lawyer Series: Lawyers with less than 5 years at the bar face unique challenges and opportunities. Examine substantive law, ethical, competency, practice management, client relationship management, and other topics in this interactive, 6-session series. Register for individual sessions or bundle the entire series! Click here for more information.
- 37th Annual Intensive Advocacy: As one of our longest-standing and highly sought-after programs, this intensive, week-long workshop provides you with the opportunity to develop a confident, professional courtroom presence by exploring every aspect of trial and hearing work. Limited Enrolment. Register and reserve your spot!
Jumpstart your CPD planning.
- Browse through programs organized into CPD competency categories (pages 3 & 4),
- Find program details in the alphabetical program listing (pages 5–7), and
- Check out the visual calendar (pages 14–18).
At LESA, we take pride in our core values of professionalism, collaboration, innovation, and responsible use of resources. As such, we’ll now be offering program materials primarily in electronic format.
Now, when you register for a program, you’ll receive electronic materials in PDF format in advance, allowing you to familiarize yourself with content, formulate questions, and come prepared for a more enriching educational experience.
We now have program bundles that offer you extra savings. Register for any of the bundled programs listed below and save!
- 52nd Annual Refresher: Family & How to Practice Family Law and Not Go Crazy
- Alberta Land Titles Online (ALTO) (Fall) & Effective Legal Support: Residential Real Estate
- Commercial Disputes & 8th Annual Law & Practice Update
- Effective Legal Support: Commercial Law & Effective Legal Support: Corporate Law
Click here for more information about this year’s live programming and to register today.
Unable to attend one of our live programs? LESA has hundreds of resources to assist in your ongoing professional development. Learn more about Seminars on Demand and online Self-Study Modules in the LESA Classroom; and discover checklists, precedents, papers from past programs, and electronic publications in the LESA Library.
Browse through the resources section of the Educational Calendar (pages 8–12) to discover what’s new!
2018/2019 CPLED PROGRAM
The Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED) Program is the bar admission course in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. In Alberta, LESA delivers the CPLED program on behalf of the Law Society of Alberta.
REGISTRATION AND PURCHASE INFORMATION
Register for programs and purchase resources online. Visit LESA.org, add a program or resource to your cart, and complete your purchase!
For many of our programs, we offer bursaries in the form of reduced fees to those traveling long distances. These reductions are intended to help offset travel costs. On eligible programs, we reduce registration fees by 25% if you live more than 125 km from the seminar site or by 50% if you live more than 250 km away (one-way driving distances). We also offer a 25% reduction in seminar registration fees for law students and students-at-law. Please register online to take advantage of these discounted fees. A limited number of other access bursaries, including financial need-based bursaries, are available. Please contact the LESA office for details; inquiries are kept strictly confidential.
Guarantee: We take pride in offering high-quality programs and resources. If our products do not meet your expectations, please contact us about our money back guarantee.
Cancellations: LESA’s cancellation policy varies by program. Contact the LESA office for more details about cancellation deadlines and available registration refunds.
Registrant substitution is permitted at all times.
Questions? Visit our website, or contact our office at 780.420.1987 or 1.800.282.3900 (Toll-free in Alberta).